LightStream, an online division of SunTrust Bank, offers low interest rates to borrowers with good credit, starting as low as 3.99% for certain types of unsecured personal loans. Well-qualified borrowers may be able to take out a personal loan from LightStream for up to $100,000. Between the stellar interest rates and high maximum loan amounts, LightStream may be a great fit for applicants with solid credit ratings.
- Unsecured Rates as low as 3.99% depending on your loan purpose
- Rate Beat Program that offers to beat competitors’ rates by at least 0.10 percentage points (restrictions apply)
- Loan Experience Guarantee offers $100 if you’re unhappy with the loan process
- Hard to qualify if you don’t have a good-to-excellent credit rating
- No preapproval process means a hard credit inquiry on your Experian and Equifax credit reports to see if you qualify
- Online applications only—Face-to-face and phone applications aren’t available
Other important information:
- Minimum/maximum amount you can borrow: $5,000 to $100,000
- APR range: 3.99%–19.99%* (with AutoPay discount)
- Fees: LightStream doesn’t charge origination fees, prepayment penalties, late fees, or any other type of fees. (Loans issued in Florida are subject to a documentary stamp tax.)
- Minimum recommended credit score: Reported to be 680 (not confirmed on LightStream’s website).
- Other qualification requirements: You’ll have a better chance of approval if your credit reports show several years of credit history, a good mixture of account types (e.g., credit cards, installment loans, etc.), and few to no late payments. You should also be able to prove stable, adequate income to repay a new loan and evidence of savings (e.g., bank deposits, bonds, stocks, etc.).
- Repayment terms: LightStream may offer you repayment terms between 24 and 144 months.
- Time to receive funds: Once approved, you may be able to access your funds as soon as the same day.
- Restrictions: You cannot use a loan from LightStream to pay for college, refinance a student loan, or fund a business.