WHY WE CHOSE THIS CARD
This is a stand-out secured card, particularly because of how it rewards those who are building credit. Each purchase made earns cash back, and Discover will generously match your earnings at the end of the first year, too. The cash-back earning rates are good, even compared with some unsecured, entry-level rewards cards. Better yet, there’s no annual fee, which is uncommon for a card like this. This secured card can grow with you, too. Once you’ve had it for eight months, Discover will start reviewing your account to see if you qualify for an upgrade to an unsecured version.
PROS & CONS
- Ability to earn cash-back rewards while building credit
- Responsible use can lead to automatic unsecured card upgrade
- No foreign transaction fee
- Cash-back match as a first year bonus
- Low cap on highest rewards earning rate
- Mediocre maximum credit limit compared to other secured cards
- No annual fee, earn cash back, and build your credit with responsible use.
- It’s a real credit card. You can build a credit history with the three major credit bureaus. Generally, debit and prepaid cards can’t help you build a credit history.
- Automatic reviews starting at 8 months to see if Discover can transition you to an unsecured line of credit and return your deposit.
- Get 100% U.S.-based customer service and get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO Credit Score.