By now, you’ve likely narrowed your options to one or two brokerages that really blow you away in terms of resources, features, and usability. Whether you’ve found your perfect platform or you’re still on the fence, take just a few more minutes to peruse the Help section of the brokerages you’re considering.
If you’re a new investor and you’re feeling overwhelmed, make sure you can get in touch with service staff quickly and easily. If you’re technically challenged, make sure the tech support team is easy to contact and available round the clock.
While these items won’t make or break your brokerage decision, it’s still important to ensure you understand how to get help when and if you need it.
- Is there a dedicated number you can call to speak a human for trade assistance?
- Make sure you are aware of any additional fees for call-assisted trades.
- Is there an automated number you can call for basic queries?
- What about general help? What are the call-in hours for representative assistance?
- What are the hours of operation for phone lines? Can you call 24/7, or are the phones only staffed during normal business hours?
- For those who are interaction averse, is there an email address you can use to receive prompt assistance?
- Does the brokerage use a secure internal messaging system for important documents and account queries?
- Does the website have an online chat option for immediate assistance?
- What if you have a basic question but don’t want to bug a representative? Is there a searchable FAQ section that answers a wide range of questions?
- What about tech support? Are there dedicated phone lines, email addresses, or chat systems for accessing technical assistance?